General Safety Precautions When Using Incense

General Safety Precautions When Using Incense

Incense can burn your skin or ruin your favorite clothing, if not used with caution. It is also a fire hazard and should not be left unattended, as the hot ash can easily set curtains or furniture on fire.

In addition, incense smoke may contain harmful chemicals that can be hazardous to your health. These chemicals can be released into the air as the incense burns, so be sure to use them only in well-ventilated areas.


Incense produces smoke when burned and this is not healthy to inhale. Burning incense is a good idea only when the room is well ventilated, so keep a window open and don’t get too close to it.

Smoke can irritate the lungs, cause chronic cough, nasal congestion, runny nose and wheezing, and may trigger asthma attacks. It can also cause eye irritation, bronchial constriction and a burning sensation in the throat.

Brushing up against a burning incense stick can cause severe burns on skin or damage clothing and furniture. It is easy to forget that it is burning and leave it unattended, which poses a fire hazard. The charcoal can also become hot enough to damage or discolor surfaces. Make sure to place the incense burner/holder on a nonflammable surface and out of children’s reach.


Leaving a stick of incense lit can cause a fire if it is too close to curtains or other flammable materials. It’s best to use a holder or burner when burning incense to avoid this danger. The holder or burner should be heat-proof so the ash doesn’t fall onto carpets or other surfaces that could catch fire.

Children and pets may have a lower tolerance to the fumes from incense, which can irritate their noses and lungs. They may also be more likely to get burns from handling a burning incense stick.

Inhaling smoke from incense can aggravate breathing problems for some people, including asthma. It can also cause PM, or particulate matter, which is a mixture of gases and solids that can affect the heart and lungs.


Burning incense releases a variety of chemicals into the air. Inhaling these chemicals can cause respiratory problems, and some may even increase the risk of cancer. These chemicals include particulate matter, volatile organic compounds, and polyaromatic hydrocarbons.

Particulate matter is a combination of small particles and liquid droplets that can cause breathing problems, eye irritation, and allergic skin reactions. It also increases the risk of heart disease and lung cancer, and it can be especially harmful for children, elderly adults, and people with asthma.

The amount of smoke released varies by the type of incense used and the environment in which it is burned. Opening a window during and after using incense can help reduce the amount of smoke produced. It can also help prevent the incense from setting off smoke detectors and fire alarms.

Choking Hazard

When a stick of incense burns, it generates smoke. This smoke may come in contact with draperies, wood surfaces and other flammable objects causing them to ignite.

This smoke is unhealthy to inhale because it contains aldehydes such as acrolein, formaldehyde and ketones that irritate the skin and mucus membranes of the eyes, nose and throat. Aldehydes are also known to aggravate respiratory problems like chronic cough, sinusitis and bronchitis.

Small products such as polished stones, incense cones and charms pose a choking hazard for children and pets. Please store them out of reach from kids and pets. This is especially important since most of these products contain lead (CA Prop 65 WARNING). Lead is toxic if swallowed. Never use these incense products for eating or drinking.


Burning incense can pose fire hazards if you fail to follow certain precautions. You should always place your incense burner on a stable, flame-resistant surface and keep it away from flammable objects while burning incense sticks, cones or resins.

People who inhale incense smoke are exposed to a complex mixture of gaseous and particulate chemicals, which can make them sick either quickly or over time. Additionally, if you burn incense on a windy day, the ash may be blown into your eyes or mouth. You should also be careful that ash doesn’t fall onto surfaces, as it could damage or discolor them. In addition, always keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of an accident. This is especially important in homes with young children or pets.