Burning Incense Safely in a Home With Children

Burning Incense Safely in a Home with Children

Inhaling smoke from incense can be dangerous, especially for children and people with respiratory illnesses. Studies have found that incense smoke contains volatile organic compounds and other harmful chemicals that can cause health issues, such as asthma.

The good news is that it is possible to enjoy the scent of incense without the negative health effects by following a few simple precautions.

Keep It Away From Children

The burning of incense can release a variety of air pollutants. Some of these pollutants are known to cause respiratory problems, such as asthma. These pollutants can also trigger hay fever and allergies.

It is important to keep children away from incense while it is burning. They may try to touch it or play with it, which can be dangerous and can result in burns. They may also inhale the smoke or ingest the ashes, which can be harmful to their health.

In addition, they can easily start a fire if they tip over the burner or holder. This is why it is so important to always place incense in a safe, secure, heat-resistant holder. It is also a good idea to never place incense in or near anything flammable, such as candles, alcohol, hairspray or aerosols. This will help prevent fires and explosions.

Keep It in a Well-Ventilated Area

Incense emits smoke that can be harmful if regularly inhaled, especially for children. It can also irritate people with respiratory problems, such as asthma and chronic bronchitis. In addition, it may cause eye irritation if it comes into contact with your eyes.

In addition, burning incense can release benzene and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air. One study found that incense that is burned in a bedroom while people sleep releases a higher level of VOCs than smoking cigarettes. Breathing in these pollutants can be very dangerous and even potentially deadly for people with respiratory conditions.

When using incense, make sure to keep it on a stable heat proof surface that is out of the reach of children and pets. If a child or pet knocks it over, it can start a fire and possibly injure them. Additionally, if an incense stick is not extinguished correctly, the burning embers can fall on flammable objects or furniture and burn them.

Keep It Out of Reach

Incense is a popular way to scent your home with beautiful fragrances. However, inhaling the smoke that regular incense generates can be harmful to your health. The particulate matter from the burning of incense can irritate your respiratory tract and make you sick. It can also cause problems for people who already have asthma or other respiratory ailments.

When you use incense, it is important to keep the sticks out of reach from children or pets who may be able to knock them over. You should always have a holder to keep the incense in that can catch any falling ashes and prevent them from starting a fire.

Once you have the holder, make sure it is on a flat and heat-resistant surface to reduce any risk of a fire if it gets knocked over or any embers fall onto flammable objects. Make sure to extinguish the incense completely once you are finished and that it is not left unattended.

Keep It Clean

When incense is burning, it releases a lot of air pollutants into the room. These include carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and nitrogen oxide, which can make people sick with prolonged or repeated exposure. To decrease the amount of these pollutants released into the room, it is important to keep at least one window open while the incense is burning.

When using incense, it is also important to avoid touching it or anything it touches. Doing so can cause burns, ruined clothing or discoloration of furniture. Some components of incense are also known to cause contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction that causes itchy, red rashes on the skin.

Finally, it is important to never leave incense unattended when children are around. Their natural curiosity can lead them to touch or play with the burning incense, which can result in serious injuries. Even the ash from burning incense can be dangerous when touched or ingested. It is best to use incense in a well-ventilated area and to always keep it away from children.