Incense and Pets – What Pet Owners Should Know

Incense and Pets What Pet Owners Should Know

Inhaling incense smoke can irritate your pet’s respiratory system. This can lead to allergies and asthma. Brachycephalic breeds (pugs, bulldogs) are particularly susceptible to breathing difficulties due to incense inhalation.

Make sure your home is well ventilated before you burn any incense. Also, only use high-quality incense; low-quality incense releases harmful particles into the air.

Safety Rules

Incense smoke can cause respiratory problems for both dogs and cats. This is especially true for those with pre-existing respiratory issues, such as brachycephalic breeds (pugs, bulldogs, shih tzus).

If you do decide to use incense, be sure to have proper ventilation. This means opening a window to let the smoke out and fresh air in.

In addition, keep incense out of reach of curious pets. They may chew on it, absorbing chemicals such as the additives, binders, and stabilizers that are often found in low-cost incense sticks.

Candles aren’t much safer, either. They create smoke, and the wax and other ingredients can be toxic if your pet ingests them. They also present a fire hazard and can burn anything they touch, including your happy dog’s tail. Unless you can get the candles out of your pet’s reach, it is best to stick with natural air fresheners.


Inhaling the smoke from burning incense can cause irritation to your pet’s sensitive lungs. This can cause symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. This can be particularly harmful for pets with respiratory conditions such as asthma.

Many of the popular types of incense sold today are made with a variety of chemicals. These can be toxic if your pet ingests them or gets the smoke into their eyes. Additionally, dipped sticks often contain sawdust and charcoal. These materials are not only a fire hazard, but also may release various toxic chemicals into the air.

In addition to being a fire hazard, incense sticks and cones can easily be knocked over by your happy doggo with his wagging tail. This is especially true for sticks that have been dipped in perfumes and oils. If your dog accidentally ingests these chemicals or gets them into his eyes, it could lead to severe irritation and even burns. This is not a good thing for any animal, but it can be especially dangerous for dogs that are very young or very old.


Dogs and cats can have allergic reactions to smoke, which can irritate their sensitive skin and eyes. The smoke can also irritate their lungs if they inhale it for extended periods of time and can lead to respiratory issues. It is important to use only top-quality incense when burning it around your pets, and to focus on proper ventilation.

Like candles, incense sticks present a fire hazard and should never be left unattended or on combustible materials like furniture. They can also burn a pet’s tail if it happens to come into contact with the flame. Like scented candles, incense can trigger asthma symptoms in pets, which can include wheezing and difficulty breathing. Asthma is triggered by airborne pollutants, including polyaromatic hydrocarbons and carbonyls. Dogs spend much of their lives on the floor, which is where these harmful chemicals end up in their fur and on their skin. This is why it’s so important to make sure your pets stay out of the way when you’re using incense, as well as other forms of air fragrances.


There are several alternatives to incense that can add a pleasant scent to your home without the chemicals and smoke. A good alternative to incense sticks is an oil diffuser. These will give your home a nice fragrance without the smoke and many have essential oils that are safe for pets.

Candles are also an option but be careful as they can create their own toxic fumes and they must be kept out of the reach of your excitable pet. If you want to use candles be sure they are made of a natural wax such as beeswax or soy and that they do not contain any scents or ingredients that may be harmful for your dog.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that any type of smoke can cause respiratory problems for dogs so it is best to keep your pups in another room while you burn incense. And make sure your home is well ventilated after you burn incense so your pups can breath easier.